Hamden Fire Department
2372 Whitney Avenue
Hamden, CT 06518
David A. Berardesca
Chief of Department
Date: July 12, 2018
Contact: Brian Dolan, Fire Marshal 203-407-3182
On Wednesday July 11, at (7:44) p.m. the Hamden Fire Department was dispatched to a reported appliance fire, located at 768 Pine Rock Avenue. The first arriving unit (7:47) reported that smoke was showing from the single-family home and transmitted that a working structure fire was under way.
The initial search was negative, the residents were found to have escaped the home prior to the fire department arriving on scene. Engine 2 from Circular Avenue made entry and was able to suppress and extinguish the fire, confining it to the kitchen area. Additional crews remained on scene for overhaul, ventilation, and salvage of personal items. No injuries were reported. The fire was declared under control by Battalion Chief Ronald Desroches at 8:10 p.m.
All companies were cleared from the scene by 9:10 p.m.
Fire Marshal Brian Dolan has determined the accidental fire originated in the ice-maker of the kitchen refrigerator extending quickly to the adjacent cabinetry. The residents of the home will be displaced during kitchen repairs and are currently staying with neighbors.
During suppression operations at 768 Pine Rock, an additional (unrelated) call for smoke in an apartment building was dispatched (8:01 p.m.) at 304 Pine Rock (arrival 8:05 p.m.). The smoke in the first floor hallways of Building “C” was due to an overheated pot-on-the-stove and required ventilation. No residents were displaced or injured.
For additional information, please contact the Hamden Fire Marshal’s office.